Friday, May 4, 2007

3 presidential candidates I WON'T vote for - without some clarification

I don't believe in single issue politics, but at the GOP Presidential Candidate debate last night 3 of them raised their hands when asked to indicate if they did NOT believe in evolution.

Not believe that evolution is a process at work in the natural world? If so, they can stare scientific fact in the face and deny it, and that's scary and stupid - a disqualification if I've ever heard of one for being the President of the United States. The President of South Africa has (in the past) denied AIDS existed while millions in his country suffered and died. This is the same stupidity.

NOW, if Huckabee, Brownback, and Tancredo can acknowledge the FACT of evolution as a process and clarify that they don't believe it accounts for the state of the world's biological diversity or the emergence of man or even the fossil record - then I still think they're nuts but it's not going to be the thing that keeps me from voting for them. I DO acknowledge that evolution as the explanation of these things is a THEORY, not a FACT.

No comments: